Another milestone

It's horrifying but true. Tomorrow morning at approximately 9:15 a.m., I will officially become a soccer mom. Sarah will begin her illustrious career with the Eagles and I will try not to gaze with too much contempt at the other parents' minivans because I am now One of Them. Then on Sunday starts another round of swimming lessons (Level 2! Yeah, baby!) for both kids. Am I a pushy jock-mom? Lord, I hope not. I'm only trying to compensate for my own parents' total lack of pushiness or even interest in physical activity of any kind. I never played any kind of organized sport even at the lowest level (though I would have played Little League only they broke the gender barrier a year too late for me). I hated gym. I was a big-time couch potato. My parents? Mom liked to say she rode her bike every day as a college student (Hel-l-l-l-0 Mom? That was 40-some years ago and DOES NOT COUNT ANY MORE). She wound up with terrible osteoporosis, including a lower leg shattered into a million pieces and being bedridden for months. The last time Dad exercised on purpose was approximately 1955, when he broke a leg skiing, threw a clot to his lung, had his leg artery tied off and called it a career. Somehow he has defied every actuarial table by being in rather good health in his mid-70s (oh yeah, he also quit smoking about a dozen years ago after sucking down three packs a day for about 40 years). Now the daughter of these two outstanding specimens of physical culture is starting to exercise in her mid-40s and actually enjoying it, especially yoga, much of which can be done sitting down in a dimly lit room with New Age Indian music playing softly in the background. But I also do the treadmill, walking at a steep angle rather than running, which I hate and will never attempt again. Not to mention Deep Water Liquid Lunch. Hopefully my kids will reach adulthood with at least some knowledge of how to keep moving -- though God knows what kind of spectactular couch technology will be available to them by the 2030's or thereabouts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Entertainments II

Beaky and spiny

The rogue wave is coming