Breathtaking speed

Amazing how news become obsolete so fast in this pandemic. Two days ago I had a flight all booked for Becky to return on Wednesday. On Saturday night after I last posted, I got an email saying the Jewish National Fund had contributed $500,000 to charter a plane so America kids studying n Israel could get home ASAP. This was to JFK, so I quickly had to book a connecting flight to Boston for her and cancel the Turkish Airlines flight.

The plane left Tel Aviv last night and landed this morning, and I went to Logan at about 10:30 to pick her up, not sure what to expect after the shitstorm that hit after Trump's half-assed travel restrictions resulted in people packed like lemmings into airports for hours, which is of course a GREAT way to slow down a pandemic. Well, it's done a 180. The Mass. Pike looked like a Sunday morning rather than Monday morning, which isn't surprising, but Terminal C was eerily empty (see photo). Becky said her flight from New York was only about 20% full. But thankfully she got home just fine, so now we have a full house again.

Actually it may get over-full; Sarah's best friend asked if she could stay here if the need arose, because both of her parents' households include someone who is immunocompromised. Even without her, I have no idea what the kids will do all day with no school or work. The governor ordered all restaurants to stop dine-in service (takeout/delivery is still OK), so that's it for Sarah's waitressing gig at Not Your Average Joe's for the foreseeable future. I think we'll have to have a family meeting tonight to figure out how to fill the time constructively. I cannot imagine what families with young children a are going to do, especially when both parents work (mostly from home these days) and have no school or daycare centers to turn to. 

As for me, I'm busier than ever. Emails about how Covid is affecting Lincoln are firehosing into my inbox, and I have to make them into posts for the Lincoln Squirrel. I also have to help with the website for our synagogue and sit in on Zoom meetings. I am already very tired.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Entertainments II

Beaky and spiny

The rogue wave is coming