Putting the 'hammer down

My favorite blog quote of the day: "I looked in the mirror and realized that I have no business wearing red, especially now that I am older and color is oozing out of my skin like soy sauce out of a block of soggy tofu." -- Gwen Zepeda (scroll down to "God please help me..."). This is even more hilarilous when you find out later in the same post that she's only 33.

I have to mention Charles Krauthammer's pithy op-ed about intelligent design in today's Washington Post. His point: ID "is a self-enclosed, tautological 'theory' whose only holding is that when there are gaps in some area of scientific knowledge -- in this case, evolution -- they are to be filled by God. It is a 'theory' that admits that evolution and natural selection explain such things as the development of drug resistance in bacteria and other such evolutionary changes within species but also says that every once in a while God steps into this world of constant and accumulating change and says, 'I think I'll make me a lemur today.'" He also notes that Einstein and Isaac Newton were religious, as was Darwin himself. The one upside of this whole debate is that it's made complacent secular evolutionists refresh their knowledge of Darwin's theory and reexamine their own religious beliefs (if any) in that context.

A few more sites with some interesting reading in this area: Butterflies and Wheels, Americans United for Separation of Church and State, and the American Humanist Association.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Entertainments II

Beaky and spiny

You rock, you farshluggineh kids!