Best. Day. Ever.

Becky in Florida mode (she's a lot more cheerful than her expression would indicate).

We wake up around 9:30 or 10. The pool is bright blue in the sunshine. A little cereal, a little coffee... the girls are having a blast in the pool. Ben joins them. I jump in as well and we play Shark. Ben retires to the adjacent hot tub. I eventually get out and sit in the lounge chair and read for a bit ("Friday Nights" by Joanna Trollope). Then I sit on the screened porch and read the New York Times cover to cover. Now time for a little lunch -- I boil some hot dogs for me and the girls, Ben eats some cold chicken and pickles from the fridge. Then more lounge-chair time. This is one of the rare times I do nothing but stare at the sky, watching the clouds and trying to guess which layer will cover the sun and which will move away. I love when the cloud layer is just the right thickness so I can look directly at the sun and see a perfect, sharply edged circle of light.

I get a little warm, I jump in the pool, I lie in the sun, then in the shade. Then Ben goes to the club to get a massage. The kids are out of the pool, quietly watching TV or playing on the computer. When Ben gets back, I take the golf cart and go for my own hour-long Swedish massage, mind drifting as aimlessly as the soft New Age music in the darkened room. Afterwards, a steam room session and shower. Now I'm back at the house, sipping a gin and tonic, reading, chatting with Ben's stepmother, and waiting to hear which restaurant we'll be going to for dinner.

Life is good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Entertainments II

Beaky and spiny

You rock, you farshluggineh kids!