Thursday, July 27, 2006

Who goes there?

I had a look back through some of this blog and was surprised to realize I've been writing it for almost a year. I also had a look at my stat counter and found that there are about four unique visitors a day, although on July 17 there were double digits -- 10! I never started writing this for Internet fame and fortune, but mostly as a snapshot of my life for me and the kiddies to look back on. I can't remember how many people I've sent the URL to, but I doubt it's in double digits. So... now I'm just curious as to who reads this damn thing. The only ones who've mentioned it are the "-mans" in the state just south of here, and my old camera-toting friend. (Can you tell I'm paranoid, even though I'm dumb enough to include some first names? Notice how I never write about work so as to minimize the chance of Doocification?) Specifically, I'm curious if there are any semiregular readers who don't know me personally. If so, how did you find out about it? If there are more than five strangers reading this, I think that (a) they have way too much time on their hands, and (b) I may have to enroll in the Witness Protection Program.

Topical note of the day: Bush's first veto in six years was for a bill to loosen restrictions on stem-cell research. The bill was sponsored by Arlen Specter (one of the few intelligent "old-style" Republicans left) and even Bill Frist supported it. Not to mention dear old Nancy Reagan. The bill would've allowed infertile couples who had stored extra embryos to donate them to researchers rather than have the clinics discard them -- and I think we can safely assume "discard" means "tossed down the sink with bleach till they're pretty much as dead as they'd get if a scientist used them for research." President Dipshit somehow interpreted the bill thus: "American taxpayers would, for the first time in our history, be compelled to fund the deliberate destruction of human embryos" and "this bill would support the taking of innocent human life" and best of all, "it crosses a moral boundary that our decent society needs to respect." The hypocrisy of saying this when you support the death penalty regardless of new DNA technology, and when you condemn thousands of soldiers and civilians to die in Iraq, is simply beyond belief. Plenty of families like Cecily's would love to donate their extra frozen embryos but she has problems with donating to any entity other than government researchers. Like the bumper sticker says: "Would someone just give Bush a blowjob already?"

1 comment:

Courtney said...

I read! I love hearing about the kiddos and your latest medical procedures!

:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails